Contest and Idol Showcase Information
YOU MUST BE 18+ YEARS OF AGE TO ENTER ANY CONTEST AT UBCON.
- Entrants must have a Con Badge.
- All ages are permitted to enter.
- All convention rules (including costumes and weapons) will be enforced. These rules can be found here.
- By entering the contest, you agree to having photos taken while on the stage.
- All entrants must sign up before the contest, either online or before 12pm the day of the contest at registration.
- Barefoot characters must have shoes on for the contest. The lack of authenticity will be forgiven.
- Groups (up to 8 people) may enter either the walk on or skit category.
- Costumes that have previously won awards may not be entered into the same category. ( ie you cannot enter a costume you won a craftsmanship award for into the craftsmanship category, but you can use it in a skit.)
- If a costume has won at a different convention, then it cannot be entered into the UBCon contest.
- Contestants may only enter one category.
- No Vulgarity beyond a PG-13 rating.
- If you win an award, you must stay after the contest and sign for your prize. You will have to provide your legal name and social security number to receive any gift cards.
- No messy substances are allowed on stage (glitter, anything wet, confetti, etc.) Anything thrown onto the stage must be picked up immediately after.
- Do not come onto the stage when not directed to.
- If you have won first place in the last UBCon contest, you cannot win first again.
- Please respect the judges and answer their questions honestly.
- If you have a prop, it must go through prop check. If your prop did not go through prop check, it will not be considered for the contest.
- No throwing items into the audience.
- Any stage fighting during skits must be done at slow speed.
- Jumping off the stage or walking into the audiences is not allowed.
- Skits from previous UBcon contests may not be repeated.
- Idol performances will not be considered for a prize due to the addition of the Idol Show. We encourage you to enter the Idol Show on the Sunday of UBCon.
- Original characters are only allowed if the contestant has reference art.
- Commissioned costumes may be entered in the craftsmanship category, but the creator of the costume must be present, and they will receive the award.
- At least 75% of your costume must be made or modified to be considered. If a majority of your costume is bought, then it will not be considered.
- Craftsmanship entrants must attend pre-judging and provide reference pictures. Prejudging is mandatory. If you do not show up for your scheduled time, you will be disqualified.
- Judges have the right to move craftsmanship entrants to another division.
Failure to abide by these rules will result in disqualification. All rules are for the safety and fairness of all contestants.
How To Enter: All entrants must sign up before the contest, either online or before 12pm the day of the contest at registration.
Time: Saturday April 25 | 3pm – 5pm
Where: Student Union Theater
**DISCLAIMER: All content provided in this document is subject to change. We reserve the right to change any rules of the show to ensure any needs to make the show efficient and successful**
Hello! Thank you for having interest in the 2020 UBCon Idol Contest! We are very excited to have this event. Rules and details about the show, please read through EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY because you are responsible for all of the information provided to you.
The Idol Contest is a contest where people can come together to perform anything idol-related!
- Please sign up for the show at this link here and please read through all of the criteria. Failure to do so will result in your submission being voided. Audition submissions will open next week (March 1st) and be open until March 30th. Those making it into the show will receive an email shortly after this deadline.
- We ask you to actively check your email in the coming weeks for updates and general contact.
- All participants must be available from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Sunday, April 26th. The show will begin at 12:00 PM in the UB auditorium located on the first floor of the UB Student Union.
- Please arrive an hour before the show (11:00 AM) to ensure that you are in attendance. We do not have enough time to run through the entire show. The time allotted to us will be used for prep time and for check ins.
- Stage rules apply as such:
- If you bring something onto the stage, it must leave with you. Confetti, flower petals, glitter, etc will NOT be permitted. If you fail to comply with this (ex. throwing confetti during your routine), your performance will end and you will be asked to leave. Fire, explosives, lasers, or open flames of any kind are STRICTLY PROHIBITED ON UNIVERSITY CAMPUS.
- All dances must stay on the stage: no jumping off the stage and no running out into the audience.
- If you deface university property and/or break any piece of equipment, you are responsible to pay to replace what you have damaged. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS. Failure to comply will result in University involvement.
- If you can no longer attend the show after you have confirmed your participation, please email the event coordinator with your reason(s) as soon as possible. Participants who have confirmed their participation but do not show up for the event with no prior contact with the coordinator will be banned from participating the following year. No exceptions.
- We reserve the right to ask any performer or audience member to leave if they are acting in an inappropriate way during the show. Please just be respectful to your fellow performers and other con-goers.
- You must be 18 years or older to participate in this event.
ENTRY AND AUDITION PROCESS
- There are two different categories to participate in, dancing and singing. You may only participate in ONE category.
- Entries are limited one (1) per person
- For singing: entrants can perform in groups up to three people
- For dancing: entrants can perform in groups up to ten people
- Entrants will select a song to perform for a recorded audition that will be received and judged by a panel of staff judges. The song used in the audition does not necessarily have to be the song desired to be sung in the competition.
- Song choices are limited to Anime, Vocaloid, Game, Japanese Drama, J-pop, J-rock, J-rap, J-R&B, Idol, Japanese folk, K-pop, and C-Pop
- Judging criteria covers entrant accuracy covering the song as well as their general singing/dancing ability.
- This includes clear enunciation and accurate pitch for singing, and accurate marking of choreography for dancing.
- The audition recording itself should be submitted as a link to a video/audio hosting service (such as YouTube) in the application form.
- The audition recording should begin with a statement of entrant name(s) and the song that they are performing and contain at least 30 seconds of their singing/dancing.
- Falsifying the audition recording will result in your audition being voided.
- Finalist selection will be conducted shortly after the contest submission deadline. All entrants will be informed of their results and will be contacted via email.
- No repeats of songs, routines are first come first serve. The event coordinator will contact you if your song has already been taken by another group.
- No “free-styling” allowed, the dance must be the official version or a cover that is widely accepted by everyone (i.e. some Vocaloid songs do not have an official dance, but people have created their own choreography and everyone covers their version). A link of the cover must be provided in your submission.
- This is a PG-13 event, please do not submit any songs with explicit lyrics. We will review each submission to ensure this rule is being followed.
- While cosplay is not the main focus of the show, you are allowed to wear your cosplay while performing. No props are allowed.
- FOR SINGERS, acapella, lip-syncing and the use of musical instruments during your performance is not allowed. Singers are allowed to have light choreography, but not a full dance routine.
- Use of a lyric sheet during your performance is not allowed, you are allowed to use it during prep time if you need to.
- ALL PERFORMERS MUST STAY FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW, if you have an emergency and you must leave, please speak with the host beforehand. We will be taking a group photo after the show is finished. If you leave before the show ends and fail to inform the host, you will be banned from participating in the following year’s show. This is just out of respect to your fellow performers and everyone else, please be respectful!
- Audience Choice – winner will be chosen through votes cast by audience members
- WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE CLOSING CEREMONY OF THE CON.
- IF YOU ARE A WINNER YOU MUST SIGN PAPERWORK IN ORDER TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE, this is under Student Association policy.
If you have any questions or inquiries about the show, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please include in the subject of your email that you are emailing about the Idol Show).